Vietnam Time

6/4/2019 7:45:05 PM

At least 4 dead after man opens fire in Australia’s Darwin

At least four people were killed and several others injured after a gunman opened fire in the Australian city of Darwin on Tuesday evening (Jun 4), police said.

 

Picture posted on Twitter shows the Darwin gunman being taken into custody. (Photo: Twitter/@AlwaysACowboy)

A 45-year-old man has been taken into custody and police said there are no further public threats.

"The active shooter threat has dissipated," superintendent Gavin Kennedy, from the Northern Territory police, told AFP.

 

In this screengrab, police proceed to apprehend a suspect on the ground next to a white truck on Jun 4, 2019, in Darwin Australia. (Photo: Australian Broadcasting Corporation via AP)

Kennedy said police are investigating at least five crime scenes in the city.

Police had earlier shut down parts of the city centre and alerted the public that an "armed and dangerous" offender was on the loose.

The suspect, described by police as a Caucasian male wearing a high visibility shirt, was using a shotgun, according to media reports.

"He shot up all the rooms, and he went to every room looking for somebody and he shot them all up, then we saw him rush out, jump into his Toyota pick-up, and rush off," witness John Rose told the ABC.

Another witness said she helped a bleeding women "with holes all in her skin" after a boyfriend carried the victim from the same hotel.

The gunman was later tracked down and arrested in the vicinity of Stuart Park. Video and images posted on social media showed officers in camouflage uniform surrounding the suspect as he was arrested.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the attack is not believed to be terror related.

"Our advice is that this is not a terrorist act," Morrison told reporters in London.

VNF/CNA  
[ Back ]
  •   
  •  

Send comment

Code
Video